Ah lentils… Hippy food, beloved of Neil from the Young Ones. But really, really good with lemon ‘n’ cumin, ya know? Vegetable rights and peace!
1 Tablespoon olive oil or sesame oil
1 Teaspoon of salt
1 Teaspoon of ground cumin
1 Cup of dried lentils (soaked for 1-2 hours)
5 Cups of water
3 Thin slices of lemon
1 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
6 Thin slices of lemon for garnish
1. Chop the onions into medium-sized pieces, meanwhile heat the oil on a medium heat (notice a pattern here?)
2. Sauté (that’s posh for ‘fry’) until golden.
3. Add cumin and salt – cook for 5 minutes.
4. Rinse the lentils in a sieve, then add to the pot with the water
5. Bring to the boil, add lemon slices.
6. Once boiling, reduce the heat & simmer for 25 minutes until the lentils are soft
7. Finally, add the lemon juice, and garnish with a slice of lemon.
Just one more Young Ones Link (because I can’t resist it:) the infamous ‘mouse in a telescope’ embarrassing party scene – ah… Reminds me so much of my own student days… “Does anyone here like the Human League?”